Days upon days of baby talk and singing “Row-Row-Row Your Boat” can make you feel like you’re starting to lose brain cells. Here are some things you can do to keep yourself sharp:
Ways to Exercise Your Brain When Caring for Little Ones
- Read! Books are easy to pick up at any time. They will keep your vocabulary and your imagination alive. Here are some good book recommendations.
- Take an online class. Take something for fun, or take something that will help improve your job skills. Craftsy has a ton of neat classes that will spark your creativity.
- Do crossword puzzles – in crayon if necessary.
- Try new things – especially when you feel like you’re in a rut. Doing something different can brighten things up. It could even be something as simple as taking a new route on your drive to the grocery store or cooking a new recipe.
- Try not to spend too much time online. Unless you are truly learning something, it’s probably draining your brain and keeping you from doing really awesome things.
- Go for a walk. It’s great exercise, and being outside is a stress reducer.
- Drink water. It will make you more alert. Here are some things you can do toremember to stay hydrated.
- Organize something. Pick a small area like a drawer. Pick something the kiddos won’t immediately mess up. Organizing can be like a big puzzle for grownups, if you look at it the right way. When you’re done, you’ll have a nice clear space to look at.
- Write a letter to someone who could use some appreciation. Like one of your middle school teachers. It will make you feel good, and it will spread some love. You will be a force of good!
- Brainstorm ways you could earn money from home. If you want to. Even if funds aren’t a problem, a little side income generation could be fun, and could be a way to keep your resume fresh.
Want to receive updates from The Beautiful Useful Project? Sign up for the email update list!
This post may contain affiliate or referral links. By using them, you are being super awesome and supporting this blog. Thank you! To learn more, check out this fabulous Disclosure Policy.